At Whiteboard, we believe the Internet offers unprecedented opportunity to facilitate redemptive cultural change. This driving belief is the core of our mission: to leverage the Internet for good.
We execute on that mission through a client-centered service business model that enables us to work with organizations also purposed to steward good in the world. We combine our skills with their mission to make the world better.
While this list is not exhaustive, we typically consider organizations with missions aligned to the following groups as "good":
- Conscious Business
- Education & Research
- Science & Emerging Technology
- Humanitarian Efforts
- Spiritual Formation
- Health & Wellness
We are searching for a Digital Product Designer who is compelled by our mission and wants to join forces with our team.
About our Team
We are an imperfect group of ~20 digital natives committed to spending our lives working alongside leaders seeking to advance good in our world. Our culture is best described as the collision of a trendy technology startup and a maturing creative studio.
We spend our days in the balance between serving our clients well and stewarding a team culture that facilitates creativity, growth, and innovation. We admit up front that this is not an easy task and doesn’t always go as we expect, but everyday is an opportunity to facilitate tangible positive change.
Our culture champions agility, practical thinking, creativity, and an attitude of lifelong learning.
There are many roadblocks of resistance on the pathway of meaningful, impactful work, and a core part of being on the Whiteboard team is the capacity to understand the mission at hand and quickly move past roadblocks to valuable progress.
About the Opportunity
Whiteboard is looking for an experienced Digital Product Designer to join our team. You will work closely with a cross-functional team and its clients to create digital products that serve our customers and advance our mission. A few of the high points:
What You’ll Do—
- Become a key member of a cross-functional team that works synchronously, across disciplines, throughout product sprints.
- Lead every stage of a human-centered design process: from research & discovery, through wireframes & user flows, to complex, expressive design systems, and on into support for engineering & QA.
- Work from a foundation of transparency, self-organization, ownership and constant improvement.
- Advocate for the user at every stage of the project, staying focused on the human outcomes of the work while facilitating early, consistent feedback both with the team & the client.
- Develop and maintain healthy, collaborative relationships with team members and clients.
- Prioritize thoughtfully to get the highest impact things done, first.
- Explore ways of delivering work that respect requirements and constraints.
- Participate in weekly planning sessions, daily stand-ups, weekly retrospectives, and demos with clients.
Who You Are—
- You have 3+ years of digital design experience, including experience with complex interactive products and multidisciplinary teams.
- A strong foundation in visual design; highly skilled in typography, color, and composition.
- An ability to communicate concepts using design tools such as wireframes, user flows, and low-fidelity prototyping.
- Proficient in modern design software including Sketch, Invision, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Familiarity with common design patterns—including an understanding of Apple’s Human Interface Guidelines and Google’s Material Design
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with productivity frameworks like Agile, Scrum, Kanban, or XP.
Bonus Points if you—
- Have motion prototyping experience in Principle, Framer, or After Effects
- An understanding of modern front-end languages, including HTML, CSS, and JS.
- Have strong opinions about coffee.
Our Values (you must champion these, too)
Whiteboard is characterized by the capacity to be kind. This isn't a conditional kindness, but rather a part of our identity. Can you be kind under pressure, even if you don't think the receiving person deserves it in the moment?
- Confident Humility
Humility is the fuel for learning. People with humility care more about truth than they care about being right. Your job will require that you approach every situation with a clear sense of humility, while also being brave and decisive.
After any interaction, whether internal or external to Whiteboard, the other party should be able to describe their interaction with you as "helpful."
Sometimes the future is uncertain. Belief at Whiteboard is the ability to be optimistic in the face of adversity and uncertainty.
- Lifestyle of Learning
We don't believe learning is simply watching tutorial videos; it's a whole worldview and lifestyle of testing, iterating, and improving on everything you do.
- We provide and cover 50% of health and dental insurance for your family
- We offer a 401(k) retirement plan and match your contributions up to 5%
- Paid time off and standard company holidays
- We fund opportunities for learning and continued education
- A flexible work culture intended to let teams optimize and thrive
- Unlimited (good) coffee, snacks, and lunch on the house usually at least once a week
What to Expect
Send your resumé and cover letter explaining why you believe you are a fit for this position. If you don't fit one of the bullet points above, don't be deterred from applying. We want to know about you. For example, if you only have 3 years of experience but you are very proficient, apply anyway. When in doubt, apply!
We will review your resumé and respond within 7 days.
From here, if your resumé and cover letter suggest you are a fit, we'll follow up with a call to get to know each other better.
The whole process will take roughly 3 weeks.
Looking forward to meeting you!