// Why Whiteboard Exists
At Whiteboard, we believe the Internet offers unprecedented opportunity to facilitate redemptive cultural change. This driving belief is the core of our mission: to leverage the Internet for good.
We execute on that mission through a client-centered service business model that enables us to work with organizations also purposed to steward good in the world. We combine our skills with their mission to make the world better.
While this list is not exhaustive, we typically consider organizations with missions aligned to the following groups as good:
- Conscious Business
- Education & Research
- Science & Emerging Technology
- Humanitarian Efforts
- Spiritual Formation
- Health & Wellness
We are searching for a Mobile Software Engineer who is compelled by our mission and wants to join forces with our team.
We are open to remote employment for this role.
// About Our Team
We are an imperfect group of ~15 digital natives committed to spending our lives working alongside leaders seeking to advance good in our world. Our culture is best described as the collision of a trendy technology startup and a maturing creative consultancy.
We spend our days in the balance between serving our clients well and stewarding a team culture that facilitates creativity, growth, and innovation. We admit up front that this is not an easy task and doesn’t always go as we expect, but everyday is an opportunity to facilitate tangible positive change.
Our culture champions agility, practical thinking, creativity, and an attitude of lifelong learning. There are many roadblocks of resistance on the pathway of meaningful, impactful work, and a core part of being on the Whiteboard team is the capacity to understand the mission at hand and quickly move past roadblocks to valuable progress.
The digital product team at Whiteboard is looking for a Mobile Software Engineer to support our portfolio of iOS and Android products. At Whiteboard, we expect our Software Engineers to interact with customers, understand our business goals, and to innovate rapidly, delivering high customer value and ground-breaking functionality.
// Key Qualities
- Passionate about application development for mobile devices and mobile web browsers
- Strong track record of creating reliable, scalable, and high-performance apps for mobile devices and thrive on delivering high quality technology solutions
- Curious while working with others and finding robust, scalable solutions that derive high customer value.
- Enjoy solving challenging operational issues and to help customers build the next generation of mobile web applications
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team
- Track record of taking initiative and producing results
- Dedicated to providing the best customer experience
- Design, implement, test, deploy and maintain mobile software solutions.
- Write clean, maintainable code and perform peer code-reviews.
- Understanding platform specific and cross-platform engineering best practices.
- Attention to quality and performance with a focus on building low-latency responsive apps
- Deep-dive into client or server systems to optimize for performance, maintainability, scalability, extensibility as needed.
// Basic Qualifications
- 5+ years of software development experience, 3+ years of mobile application development
- Firm understanding of software development principles, capabilities and limitations of mobile platforms (iOS and Android).
- Experience consuming HTTP-based web APIs
- Familiarity with distributed version control systems (Git)
- Experience and passion for developing mobile applications
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent is desired, but not required.
// Preferred Qualifications
- Experience developing high quality, large scale consumer applications
- Demonstrable experience deploying apps to both Google Play and Apple App Store
- Experience with platform tooling for both iOS (Xcode) and Android (Android Studio)
// Required Values
Sometimes the future is uncertain. Belief at Whiteboard is the ability to be optimistic in the face of adversity and uncertainty.
Whiteboard is characterized by the capacity to be kind. This isn't a conditional kindness, but rather a part of our identity. Can you be kind under pressure, even if you don't think the receiving person deserves it in the moment?
Humility is the fuel for learning. People with humility care more about truth than they care about being right. Your job will require that you approach every situation with a clear sense of humility, while also being brave and decisive.
After any interaction, whether internal or external to Whiteboard, the other party should be able to describe their interaction with you as "helpful."
Lifestyle of Learning
We don't believe learning is simply watching tutorial videos; it's a whole worldview and lifestyle of testing, iterating, and improving on everything you do.
// Company Benefits
- We provide and cover 50% of health and dental insurance for you and your family
- We offer a 401(k) retirement plan and match your contributions up to 5%
- Paid time off and standard company holidays
- We fund opportunities for learning and continued education
- A flexible work culture intended to let teams optimize and thrive
- Unlimited (good) coffee, snacks, and meals on the house usually at least once a week
How this process goes:
- Send your resumé and cover letter explaining why you believe you are a fit for this position. If you don't fit one of the bullet points above, don't be deterred from applying. We want to know about you. For example, if you only have 3 years of experience but you are very proficient, apply anyway. If you aren't yet a senior interactive producer but feel you are ready for that role, you might be the perfect fit. If in doubt, apply!
- We will review your resumé and respond within 7 days to let you know we received the resumé and when you can expect to hear from us in either direction.
- From here, if your resumé and cover letter suggest you are a fit, we will schedule a phone call screening to get to know each other better.
- If things go well with the screening call, we will invite you to an on-site visit. You'll meet members of our team and sit in a desk to get a sense of what it's like to be at Whiteboard.
- After an on-site visit, Whiteboard will convene and make a determination on whether or not we see a fit. You will receive a clear answer within a week after the on-site visit has completed.
- The whole process should take less than 3 weeks to complete, unless there is a specific reason for it to take longer. If something keeps it from progressing, we will communicate that to you along the way.