// Why Whiteboard Exists
At Whiteboard, we believe the Internet offers unprecedented opportunity to facilitate redemptive cultural change. This driving belief is the core of our mission: to leverage the Internet for good.
We execute on that mission through a client-centered service business model that enables us to work with organizations also purposed to steward good in the world. We combine our skills with their mission to make the world better.
While this list is not exhaustive, we typically consider organizations with missions aligned to the following groups as good:
- Conscious Business
- Education & Research
- Science & Emerging Technology
- Humanitarian Efforts
- Spiritual Formation
- Health & Wellness
We are searching for a Director of Digital Projects who is compelled by our mission and wants to join forces with our team.
// About Our Team
We are an imperfect group of ~15 digital natives committed to spending our lives working alongside leaders seeking to advance good in our world. Our culture is best described as the collision of a trendy technology startup and a maturing creative consultancy.
We spend our days in the balance between serving our clients well and stewarding a team culture that facilitates creativity, growth, and innovation. We admit up front that this is not an easy task and doesn’t always go as we expect, but everyday is an opportunity to facilitate tangible positive change.
Our culture champions agility, practical thinking, creativity, and an attitude of lifelong learning. There are many roadblocks of resistance on the pathway of meaningful, impactful work, and a core part of being on the Whiteboard team is the capacity to understand the mission at hand and quickly move past roadblocks to valuable progress.
// About the Opportunity
Whiteboard is looking for a Director of Digital Projects to join our team. You will work closely with our Clients, Designers, Developers, Strategists, and others to plan and create digital platforms that serve our customers and advance our mission. From robust content platforms, to e-commerce experiences, to online learning systems, and more, you will lead the creation platforms of all shapes and sizes.
As a Director of Digital Projects at Whiteboard, you will:
- Act as a servant first, prioritizing others over yourself
- Develop and maintain trusted, supportive relationships with clients and team members
- Value face-to-face communication over written documentation, processes and tools
- Serve as the key strategist in building dynamic, creatively excellent, digital platforms for clients
- Solve meaningful problems by identifying organizational goals and business requirements for clients and developing strategic website architecture plans, feature requirements, and more (i.e, wireframing, feature planning)
- Manage a team of digital creatives (designers, developers, and strategists) and successfully coach them in productive and servant-led relationships with clients and each other
- Prepare critical documents like Project & Creative Briefs, Statements of Work, etc.
- Present plans to clients and team members to generate feedback and establish buy-in
- Facilitate planning sessions, stand-ups, retrospectives, and demos to clients
- Encourage visibility of project progress by maintaining accessible project documentation
- Ensure projects are working smoothly and every team member has support and tools to deliver efficiently and well
- Protect your team from distractions and interferences and help identify and remove roadblocks
- Advocate for best practices and set an example by following those practices
- Aid in conflict resolution through the values of openness, honesty and respect
The ideal candidate will have:
- 5+ years of interactive production or project management experience, including working on complex interactive projects with multidisciplinary creative and technical teams.
- A solid understanding of building dynamic websites, including design research, user experience and graphic design, web and application development, interactive web technologies, etc., and what makes these disciplines work well together.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with modern digital project management and collaboration tools such as Slack, Airtable, Trello, GitHub, Google Apps, etc.
- A strong ability to be decisive in the face of uncertainty and translate uncertainty into clarity for others
- A genuine desire to collaborate, solve problems and make things.
- A keen intuition to discern the needs of clients and team members and tailor your management style to empower their success
- Experience writing critical creative project documents, including briefs, statements of work, etc.
- The flexibility to respond to changing project, client and business demands.
- Unbounding optimism and the desire to achieve the impossible!
- The ability to maintain composure and focus when the escalating demands of work rear up like a rampant wildebeest.
// Required Values
Sometimes the future is uncertain. Belief at Whiteboard is the ability to be optimistic in the face of adversity and uncertainty.
Whiteboard is characterized by the capacity to be kind. This isn't a conditional kindness, but rather a part of our identity. Can you be kind under pressure, even if you don't think the receiving person deserves it in the moment?
Humility is the fuel for learning. People with humility care more about truth than they care about being right. Your job will require that you approach every situation with a clear sense of humility, while also being brave and decisive.
After any interaction, whether internal or external to Whiteboard, the other party should be able to describe their interaction with you as "helpful."
Lifestyle of Learning
We don't believe learning is simply watching tutorial videos; it's a whole worldview and lifestyle of testing, iterating, and improving on everything you do.
// Company Benefits
- We provide and cover 50% of health and dental insurance for you and your family
- We offer a 401(k) retirement plan and match your contributions up to 5%
- Paid time off and standard company holidays
- We fund opportunities for learning and continued education
- A flexible work culture intended to let teams optimize and thrive
- Unlimited (good) coffee, snacks, and meals on the house usually at least once a week
How this process goes:
- Send your resumé and cover letter explaining why you believe you are a fit for this position. If you don't fit one of the bullet points above, don't be deterred from applying. We want to know about you. For example, if you only have 3 years of experience but you are very proficient, apply anyway. If you aren't yet a senior interactive producer but feel you are ready for that role, you might be the perfect fit. If in doubt, apply!
- We will review your resumé and respond within 7 days to let you know we received the resumé and when you can expect to hear from us in either direction.
- From here, if your resumé and cover letter suggest you are a fit, we will schedule a phone call screening to get to know each other better.
- If things go well with the screening call, we will invite you to an on-site visit. You'll meet members of our team and sit in a desk to get a sense of what it's like to be at Whiteboard.
- After an on-site visit, Whiteboard will convene and make a determination on whether or not we see a fit. You will receive a clear answer within a week after the on-site visit has completed.
- The whole process should take less than 3 weeks to complete, unless there is a specific reason for it to take longer. If something keeps it from progressing, we will communicate that to you along the way.