// Why Whiteboard Exists
At Whiteboard, we believe the Internet offers unprecedented opportunity to facilitate redemptive cultural change. This driving belief is the core of our mission: to leverage the Internet for good.
We execute on that mission through a client-centered service business model that enables us to work with organizations also purposed to steward good in the world. We combine our skills with their mission to make the world better.
While this list is not exhaustive, we typically consider organizations with missions aligned to the following groups as good:
- Conscious Business
- Education & Research
- Science & Emerging Technology
- Humanitarian Efforts
- Spiritual Formation
- Health & Wellness
// About Our Team
We are an imperfect group of ~15 digital natives committed to spending our lives working alongside leaders seeking to advance good in our world. Our culture is best described as the collision of a trendy technology startup and a maturing creative consultancy.
We spend our days in the balance between serving our clients well and stewarding a team culture that facilitates creativity, growth, and innovation. We admit up front that this is not an easy task and doesn’t always go as we expect, but everyday is an opportunity to facilitate tangible positive change.
Our culture champions agility, practical thinking, creativity, and an attitude of lifelong learning. There are many roadblocks of resistance on the pathway of meaningful, impactful work, and a core part of being on the Whiteboard team is the capacity to understand the mission at hand and quickly move past roadblocks to valuable progress.
The digital product team at Whiteboard is looking for a Product Designer to help create beautiful and highly functional products for our clients and their users. As a product designer at Whiteboard, you’ll be a part of the entire project lifecycle from start to finish. Expectations include contributions to all aspects of the design process, including research, wireframing, prototyping, and visual design.
We are open to remote employment for this role.
// Key Qualities
- Clear and open communication skills. You can articulate feedback to help your teammates become stronger designers.
- A solid and up to date understanding of best practices, developments and trends in web, mobile and iOS design.
- Ego-less and objective. You receive feedback well and can iterate on your designs within a team, no matter how attached to them you are.
- Expert knowledge of UX principles and best practices, including understanding when and where user testing and research should be incorporated into the product design process.
- Produce high quality user experience design through wireframe and visual designs, flow diagrams, and both static and interactive prototypes.
- Collaborate with the digital product team on user experience decisions through user research, customer development, and iterative feedback loops.
- Rapidly iterate on design prototypes and working applications.
- Help to lead presentations for new or existing work.
- Work closely with and across a teams of engineers, product managers, and fellow designers.
- 5+ years of experience bringing digital products to life (ideally in an agency or consulting environment) with 3+ years in a senior role.
- The ability to pitch, educate, and articulate your design rationale to clients. You can communicate the ‘why’ and lead discussions around your process, explorations, and conclusions.
- A strong portfolio of product work that can speak to both your UX and visual design skills. We are not looking for those with experience that only touches in advertising, branding, campaigns, or marketing.
- Extensive prototyping and interaction design experience, ideally with Framer and/or Principle
// Required Values
Sometimes the future is uncertain. Belief at Whiteboard is the ability to be optimistic in the face of adversity and uncertainty.
Whiteboard is characterized by the capacity to be kind. This isn't a conditional kindness, but rather a part of our identity. Can you be kind under pressure, even if you don't think the receiving person deserves it in the moment?
Humility is the fuel for learning. People with humility care more about truth than they care about being right. Your job will require that you approach every situation with a clear sense of humility, while also being brave and decisive.
After any interaction, whether internal or external to Whiteboard, the other party should be able to describe their interaction with you as "helpful."
Lifestyle of Learning
We don't believe learning is simply watching tutorial videos; it's a whole worldview and lifestyle of testing, iterating, and improving on everything you do.
// Company Benefits
- We provide and cover 50% of health and dental insurance for you and your family
- We offer a 401(k) retirement plan and match your contributions up to 5%
- Paid time off and standard company holidays
- We fund opportunities for learning and continued education
- A flexible work culture intended to let teams optimize and thrive
- Unlimited (good) coffee, snacks, and meals on the house usually at least once a week
How this process goes:
- Send your resumé and cover letter explaining why you believe you are a fit for this position. If you don't fit one of the bullet points above, don't be deterred from applying. We want to know about you. For example, if you only have 3 years of experience but you are very proficient, apply anyway. If you aren't yet a senior interactive producer but feel you are ready for that role, you might be the perfect fit. If in doubt, apply!
- We will review your resumé and respond within 7 days to let you know we received the resumé and when you can expect to hear from us in either direction.
- From here, if your resumé and cover letter suggest you are a fit, we will schedule a phone call screening to get to know each other better.
- If things go well with the screening call, we will invite you to an on-site visit. You'll meet members of our team and sit in a desk to get a sense of what it's like to be at Whiteboard.
- After an on-site visit, Whiteboard will convene and make a determination on whether or not we see a fit. You will receive a clear answer within a week after the on-site visit has completed.
- The whole process should take less than 3 weeks to complete, unless there is a specific reason for it to take longer. If something keeps it from progressing, we will communicate that to you along the way.